Rugby: Rosslyn Park Sevens

Master in Charge of Rugby, Budge Pountney, reviews this week’s Rosslyn Park Sevens Tournament that saw the Colts and Open teams representing the College.


Led very well by Mason Hunt, the side performed incredibly well during the group games and topped their group at the end of Day 1 group stages.

This was actually made even better by the fact that we only had 11 players (should be a squad of 12) of which there were four Remove players.

We were drawn in what looked like a group that would be competitive, especially with Campion School in there. The scores went as follows:

43-0 v Templer Academy School
21-0 v King John School
50-0 v Ysgol Gyfun Bryn Tawe

These scores meant we had a show down with Campion to see who would top the group and go through to the knockout round. The boys had played extremely well but hadn’t come against a good organised defence. Campion caused a few problems and went ahead but the players showed great resilience and surged through in the second half with Harry Bunn scoring twice off the bench for a 19-7 win.

Now through to the knockout round on the second day and a tough fixture against Whitgift.
Whitgift took the lead and although they were a good side, the boys managed to open up their defence on a number of occasions, but failed to capitalise on the pressure. They went into half-time down at 5-14 with just Harry Bunn’s try to show for all the pressure.
The second half again was all about Marlborough pressure and Whitgift defence, Charlie Cooke scored to put the score at 10-14 and Max Olivier made a tricky conversion look very simple. However, there was not enough time to score again and the boys went out on a defiant note.

Whitgift were knocked out at the quarter-final stage on the second day so they weren’t too bad. This was a massive effort from all with every single player getting game time.

Looking at the boys trying to get out of the minibus on Tuesday night probably meant that the second day may well have been a tough call. They had given everything and Coach Clayton couldn’t have asked for more.

Players of the tournament went to our two scrum halves Tom Hunt and Will Cook; they were equally as impressive but for entirely different reasons. Tom was at times electrifying but also showed great maturity on and off the field and Will seemed to be made of granite and was very assured for someone who was playing up an age grade.

The best tackle of the day came from Benjy Parrot who halved an opposition player and Harry Bunn grabbed the Rupert Edgdale award.

Top scorers were Tom Hunt (6), Harry Bunn (5) and Max Olivier (4). Special mention has to go to Charlie Cooke for turning a few eyes of Premiership talent ID scouts.

Colts Squad: Mason Hunt (C), Tom Hunt, Harry Bunn, Finn Gordon, Benjy Parrot, Ben Hall, Max Olivier, Will Cook, Harry Brooks, Charlie Cooke, Oscar Fillingham


The second day was all about the Open side, and having played so well in the Sexey’s 7’s the week before, the boys were looking forward to a great day.

We were drawn in a particularly tough group with two good Welsh schools in there and St Peter’s York and St Peter’s Gloucester.

We started the day on the main pitch which was also being streamed live, the boys stepped up and probably produced their best performance of the day. For a number of our boys this tournament represented their last appearance in the fabled Marlborough colours, and although we had a shaky middle part of our tournament – the boys stood up and finished on a high.

32-7 v St Peter’s RC (Gloucester)
17-27 v Basslag College
7-26 v St Peters School (York)

The two defeats in the group stage meant the boys couldn’t qualify for the second day and Coach Clayton wanted to finish the last game with all the Upper 6th on the pitch, so we started with the Lower Sixth boys and Alfie Farndale on the pitch with our only Hundred Player, Tom Hunt, in the mix as well.

The boys played with passion and grit and deservedly took the game by the scruff of the neck and delivered a fitting last ever performance with the team winning 43-19 against Barry School.

Although the boys were disappointed with the two games in the middle there were some great displays.

Player of the tournament was Henry Kirkman who was also the top try scorer with six tries. Ben Wilson hit one of the best tackles of the day and Rupert Edgedale retained the coveted Rupert Edgedale award.

Open Squad: Will Beattie (C), Jay Cooke, Hugo Hentenaar, Ben Wilson, Alfie Farndale, Rupert Edgedale, Max Read, Toby Baines, Tom Hunt, Ed Andrews, David West, Henry Kirkman, Sam Bradby

On reflection both squads played extremely well and it was a fitting end to the sevens season. For many it was a realisation that we cannot afford to take it easy over the summer, a number of the boys now are committed to strive to be better than before.

Budge Pountney
Master in Charge, Rugby

You may also like