The Historical Perspective

Art has had a significant presence at the College for some considerable time, our most famous artist, perhaps, being William Morris.

Its origins however, are a little more lowly: it began as a subject in 1844 under the auspices of the first Drawing Master, H.J. Fleuss, in a classroom on the lower floor of New Court. Christopher Hughes, a distinguished art master, took over in 1920 and, in the 1930s, moved art into the Garnett Room (previously a museum).

Guy Barton followed in 1946 and, by now, art was becoming a more significant subject. In the early 1960s an art school was established using the gap between the newly added Norwood Hall and A House.

In 2005, the Art Department moved to its new, purpose built School. Situated next to the existing Ceramics Studio and Mount House Gallery, this outstanding contemporary educational environment has now been firmly established as a centre for artistic excellence for the 21st Century.