The Historical Perspective

Considering that the College was founded in 1843 with the prime purpose of educating the sons of Clergy, it is of no surprise that the construction of a Chapel was an early priority. 

The first Chapel, designed by Edward Blore (1787-1879), was opened in 1848 to accommodate 500 boys. It was, however, a rather plain building and by 1880 the College community had, in any case, grown to over 600.

An initial scheme of enlargement by lengthening the walls and raising their height had to be abandoned when it was discovered that Blore's foundations were insufficiently strong to bear the extra weight and the decision was taken to salvage everything possible before Blore's Chapel was completely demolished in 1884.