1. To develop physical fitness by maintaining and increasing such components as speed, flexibility, muscular strength, muscular endurance, aerobic capacity and anaerobic capacity.
2. To develop physical literacy through an acquisition of those levels of skill necessary for efficient body movement and control in a sporting situation.
3. To develop an understanding of the importance of sport in the pursuit of a healthy and active lifestyle at the College and beyond.
4. To provide the opportunity to be inventive and creative in sporting activities.
5. To promote an awareness of and an ability to appreciate the aesthetic qualities of sporting performance and movement.
6. To develop an ability to observe, analyse and judge the performance of self and peers in sporting situations.
7. To develop an appreciation of the concepts of fair play, honest competition and good sportsmanship.
8. To develop the capacity to maintain interest in a sport or sports and to persevere in order to achieve success.
9. To prepare each student to be able to participate fully in the competitive, recreational and leisure opportunities offered outside the school environment.
10. To develop leadership skills and foster qualities of co-operation, tolerance, consideration, trust and responsibility when faced with group and team problem-solving tasks.
11. To develop self-esteem and self-confidence through positive sporting experiences.
12. To use sport as a means to develop social interaction and so learn about others as well as themselves.
13. To provide a release for pupils in order to refresh for academic work.
14. To promote an understanding of physical and mental well-being through an appreciation of stress, rest and relaxation.
15. To provide healthy competition through inter-school and inter-house matches.
16. To develop and sustain high quality competitive school teams with a particular emphasis on the major sports.
17. To provide opportunities for pupils to excel at sport.
18. To ensure that every pupil can maximise their sporting potential and find a
sport that they can enjoy and participate in with some success.