Both pitches were resurfaced and upgraded in the summer of 2013.
A stunning blue hybrid surface (aptly referred to as ‘smurf-turf’), located at the base of a slope leading up to the Hamersley rugby pitch, makes for quite a setting.
The site as a whole is made up of:
- Two pitches (Maples and Milford) – fully floodlit with bespoke dug-outs
- Maples – used mainly for hockey with an electronic scoreboard servicing the pitch
- Milford – used for hockey, but also available for football, rugby and tennis hire
- Milford pavilion – two changing rooms (no shower facilites), and a central meeting area
The Sports Hall was opened on 19th January 1989 and comprises the following facilities:
- Classroom – a substantial space ideal for presentations, group training, video analysis and group discussion, supported by the presence of a projector/screen, WI-FI access and thirteen PCs.
- Fencing Salle – as well as two fencing lanes, the Salle is equipped with a full-body mirror (7m in length) and dance rails, allowing this area to double up as a venue for group classes such as dance, aerobics, yoga and martial arts.
- Hall – a multi-faceted facility including a five lane indoor cricket net (with roll out mats, bowling machines (x2) and accessories), a full size basketball court, two cross-width basketball courts, a netball court, four badminton courts, a tennis court and portable five-a-side football and indoor hockey goals. There is also an extensive upstairs viewing gallery.
- Four changing rooms (with showers).
Gym, Rackets, Fives and Squash
Undergoing extensive redevelopment
Rackets has been played at the College for over 120 years, the Public Schools' Doubles Championship being won for the first time in 1901. The complex comprises:
- Two courts - their playing surfaces are recognised as being amongst the best in the country.
- Viewing gallery.
The Fives courts, originally gifted to the College by the Martineau family in 1929, were re-covered in 2001.
The floors have more recently been renovated (2011). The complex is one of a few to include facilities for more than one version of the game, namely:
- Four Rugby Fives courts – heated
- Two Eton Fives courts
A vibrant space made up of:
- Four squash courts – heated and regularly renovated, having most recently been done during the Summer of 2015
- Viewing gallery
- Small gym – located next to the match court, this area contains various
pieces of cardiovascular, free weights and core conditioning equipment, and is a useful additional space to compliment the larger main Gym
- Two Changing rooms (with showers)
Heading up-field from the astroturf pitches, the main College pitch, Hamersley, provides one of the finest schoolboy rugby venues in the country.
It is located in a truly picturesque setting, overlooking much of the College, Marlborough Town and the surrounding countryside. There are a further ten pitches stretching up the hill to Wedgwood.
The quality of playing surface, not only on Hamersley but on all the College pitches, is exceptional, and the surrounds are second to none.
These pitches are available from early September to mid-December.
The 1st XI Cricket ground is widely known as one of the most beautiful school grounds in the country.
It is prepared, maintained and developed to the highest of standards which makes for a superb playing surface. There are seven more cricket grounds and fourteen artificial cricket nets on site.
A number of the nets have recently been re-laid. These pitches and nets are available from mid April to mid August. In addition there are two pavilions:
- XI Pavilion - The Pavilion has recently been beautifully and skillfully restored after a benefaction by Mrs Jane Rose in memory of her late husband Henry (C1 1953-57). The restoration will enable future generations of Marlburians and Old Marlburians to provide first class hospitality to visiting teams and guests.” (Marlborough College website – cricket). Amenities include: two changing rooms (with showers), a large kitchen area servicing the central function room, two viewing balconies, two small rooms (cricket related) and disability access.
- LB Pavilion – upfield from the XI pavilion, the LB pavilion comprises two levels, each level being made up of two changing rooms (with showers), and a central meeting area which contains a small kitchen and toilet facilities.
Football Pitches and Lacrosse Pitches
In total, there are seven Football and seven Lacrosse pitches at the College.
The 1st XI Football pitch is located in the centre of the athletics track, details of which can be found below, and the main Lacrosse pitch can be found either behind Mill Mead boarding House or on Hamersley, depending on the time of year.
As with all College pitches, the playing surfaces are excellent. For each discipline, there are four pitches available from early September to mid-December, and seven from early January to mid-March.
Tennis and Netball Courts
The College has 13 hard tennis courts located below the athletics track, serviced by the athletics pavilion and changing rooms/toilets.
These are functional from mid-April to mid-December. For the remainder of the year, early January to mid-March, they are converted into eight hard netball courts.
During the summer months (mid-April to early August) there are also 12 all-weather astroturf tennis courts situated on the Milford astro, and also mentioned above, the sports hall houses one tennis and one netball court.
Set directly below the white horse on Granham Hill, Marlborough has one of the most beautifully situated all weather tracks in the country which was re-laid in 2001.
The track is serviced by:
- Athletics pavilion – currently undergoing renovation
- Two changing rooms (with showers and toilet facilities)
For information about the hiring of College sports facilities please contact:
Tel: 07981 916665