Sport Awards and Scholarships
At Marlborough, it is recognised that sport is a core element of a balanced education and contributes towards the integrated development of mind and body. It builds self-confidence and self-esteem, enhances physical, social and cognitive abilities and improves academic achievement.
We offer sport awards at 13+ entry and sport scholarships at the end of the Shell and at 16+ entry. Sport award holders enjoy similar benefits to scholars and both automatically become members of the Griffith Society. The Griffith Society is named after M G Griffith (C3 1957-62) who played England Schools’ cricket and hockey, captained Sussex CCC and played hockey for England and Great Britain. This is a group of highly motivated and very able sporting pupils who have the potential to gain representative honours while at Marlborough.
- Ongoing technical, physiological and psychological support from the relevant specialist coaches;
- Flexibility to allow him/her to visit external coaches as part of maintaining contact with county, regional or national development squads;
- Access to the annual Dunford Lecture, an inspirational set of presentations and practical workshops given by visiting expert coaches;
- Termly meetings which often involve a presentation on a particular sports-related topic;
- Regular fitness testing;
- 1 to 1 coaching in his/her lead sport or sports;
- A sports mentor who monitors the development and progression of each individual and ensures a sensible balance of lifestyle at the College is maintained.
Sport award and scholarship holders are reviewed annually by the Master and the Director of Sport, liaising closely with each pupil’s HM and the Deputy Head (Academic) to ensure that academic performance is being maintained alongside sporting commitments.